Sucrose is a natural and economical sweetener. It is the most versatile of all the
Sucrose is a natural and economical sweetener. It is the most versatile of all the sweeteners, performing many useful functions in a range of foods.
- As a sweetener
- Acting as a preservative in jams, preserves, processed fruits and condensed milk.
- Enhancing flavor in foods such as preserved meats and tomato sauce.
- Providing bulk and texture in ice-cream, custard, baked goods and confectionery.
- Acting as a food for yeast in baking and in brewingbeer and cider.
- Contributing to crust color and flavor, and delaying staleness, in cakes and biscuits.
- Sucrose used in the plastics and cellulose industry, in rigid polyurethane foams, manuf of ink and of transparent soaps.
- Sucrose used as starting material in the fermentative production of ethanol , butanol, glycerol, citric and levulinic acids.